Wednesday, November 16, 2016

"What Do You Do With All Of Your Quilts?"

I make quilts.  A lot of quilts.  A Lot.  A LOT!

People have recently asked "How many quilts do you make in a year?" and "What do you do with all of those quilts?"

Well, I make between 50-100 quilts in a year.  Many of them are pattern samples for the Cutie quilts I design.  Many of them are quilting samples for my quilting classes.  A rare one or two is added to my home.  Most of them, though, are given away.

I give quilts as gifts for Christmas or birthday or weddings or whatever occasion demands a gift.  I give quilts to babies, graduates, newlyweds, and those in need of comfort.  Sometimes I give quilts to people I don't know very well just because it feels like the combination of "right person, right quilt, right time."

In the last few days, I've given away several quilts.

I gave this quilt to a mom-to-be at her baby shower:


It is a scrappy version of my Stepping Stones Cutie pattern made with leftovers from this quilt.

I gave this quilt to a new momma for her baby:


This is my Share + Share Alike Cutie pattern and I wrote about the quilt and fabrics here.

I gave a scrappy quilt to a former-student-turned-missionary who recently got married:


More details about this quilt can be found here.

And I gave this quilt to my daughter-in-law so she can be happy and snuggly this winter:


I wrote about this quilt here.

In summary, four quilts left my house in about 48 hours and found their forever homes.  I don't do this every weekend, but this happens frequently.

Quilts are twice a blessing:  once to me, because I get to make them, and then a blessing to whoever receives them.

Do you makes quilts just to give them away?  Do you decide ahead of time who might receive the quilt, or do you wait until the quilt is finished and see what happens?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the second quilt; the one with the over-the-top spirals, swirls, pebbles, and feathers, should hang in the Museum of Modern Art!!!!

Crystal_235 said...

I can't imagine making 50-100 quilts a year. I'm lucky if I get 4 done!! All my kids now have quilts, my mom and dad have a quilt, and I just gave my sister a baby quilt. (I have yet to make me and my husband a quilt)

Tish Stemple said...

I have an easier time parting with my quilts, when I can go into it with the mindset that it will go to a new home when I'm finished. I like to think of them as little forever hugs.

BengalPup said...

I have both quilts I make for specific people and quilts that find their forever home. I am finding over time I am going more from specific people to quilts finding forever homes as I make more of them.