Saturday, April 02, 2016

March's Bookshelf

I felt like I didn't read much in March since I was sick for most of the month, so I was surprised to see my list was even this long!

The Murderer's Daughter by Jonathan Kellerman
This book was far more about learning a woman's backstory than it was about finding the solution to her current predicament.  This was my first Jonathan Kellerman book but it likely won't be the last.

Drunken Fireworks by Stephen King
Stephen King wrote this specifically as an audiobook.  It was a first-person unreliable narrator's account of a firework escalation between neighbors in Maine.  It was very short and had several laugh-out-loud moments.

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
This fun read was even funner because it was set in Melbourne and I had several "Hey, I've been exactly where they are talking about" moments.  I also appreciated Don and his quirks and loved how devoted he was to his friends.  I understood him and rooted for him the whole way!

Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
I have avoided reading this series for years and years, for no particular reason.  I had some technical problems this month and I could neither listen to a disc nor listen to Audible.  The horror!  The only audiobooks I could listen to in my studio were ones downloaded from my local library.  They have most of the Preston/Child books so I gave in.  The narrator was great and the book was great.  On to book two!

The Revenant by Michael Punke
I read this book just because I want to see the movie.  I'm not exactly sure why I want to see the movie since I usually root against Leonardo DiCaprio on screen (Iceberg - 1, Leonardo - 0), but I read the book anyway.  I enjoyed the book and enjoyed playing with my scrap bin while listening to it.  I was left disappointed in the ending, but enjoyed the journey.  Now, since I know the ending (Leonardo - 1, bear - 0), I have to work up the energy to watch the movie anyway.

Naked in Death by J. D. Robb
I have a lot of catch-up quilting to do and I can quilt while half-listening to books like these.  Spoiler alert:  Eve Dallas caught the bad guy.

The Martian by Andy Weir
This book is worth reading again and again and it just makes me happy.  I'm trying hard not to just start reading it again RIGHT NOW!  I think I'll settle for watching the movie... again.

Do you have any recent reads that belong on my April bookshelf?  I'm always looking for a good book.

2 comments:

Linda Stoll said...

Thanks for such a vast selection to choose from, Debbie! Marie Kondo's SPARK JOY is fun ... and even better than her 1st book.

Happy reading ...

;-}

Unknown said...

The Gril on the Train and The Dead Key are both great. i do audible.