Thursday, March 31, 2016

The Splendid Sampler -- Crocheted Thoughts

After a long, hard battle I finally finished Alyssa Thomas' Crocheted Thoughts block for The Splendid Sampler.


If you are asking "Why was this block a battle?" I have answers for you.  After I started stitching this block, my body fell apart.  
  • After 25+ years with lined bifocals, I am adjusting to progressive lenses in my eyeglasses.  My neck is getting sore from bobbing my head around trying to look through the right part of the lens.  If you've ever fought this battle, you feel my pain.  I had a lot of trouble threading the needle and it's difficult to embroider without a threaded needle.
  • The drastic weather changes in the last weeks have caused my arthritis to act up.  My hands have not been working well enough to hold a needle.
  • I apparently can't encounter a cold or virus that I don't adopt and take home with me.  I got hit with a double-whammy of illness last week.  I am now strong enough to sit up in a chair and am enjoying not coughing or sneezing for nearly 10 minutes at a time.
Finishing this block was a huge victory for me.  I'm celebrating spring and dead germs and new eyeglasses and working fingers.  I'm also celebrating a really cute block!  Thanks Alyssa!

If you want to see how amazing everyone's Crocheted Thoughts blocks look, click HERE and scroll down to see all the wonderful blocks!

Did you read my "Why I Quilt?" introduction to The Splendid Sampler machine quilting tutorials?  

I'm hurrying off now to catch up on the rest of my blocks.  Are you current on The Splendid Sampler?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I highly recommend a pair of glasses specifically for intermediate distances--handwork, computer, sewing machine.

ferne said...

I would agree with Barbara. I cannot sew or read with my bifocals so I have 2 pair of glasses. I wear the bifocals at work because I have to read a lot of tags, I work in a plant nursery. But, when I am home sewing or reading anything I go for my reading glasses. I have also found needles really hard to thread and finally found a clover needle threader that I love.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Well, your block turned out lovely despite all the trials--hope you are feeling better!